New Main Post

Monday and Thursday

Do teens these days rely too much on their parents?

Hey guys! I just wanted to talk about things I've been observing about teenagers these days. Some of us depend on our parents too much! I know when your're younger you rely heavily on them, but as you grow older things should start to change.

Learning to be independent is very important because there will be times in your life when you need to get through a difficult situation on your own. Of course it's okay to ask your parents for advice along the way. They have experienced many of the things that you are going through or will in the future, and it can be beneficial to have multiple points of view on a decision you must make.


 But there are also times when asking your parents what to do becomes excessive and can hinder you from being self-reliant. For example, job interviews. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I have heard about job interviews where the teen brings their guardian with them into the room. If I were the employer, they would be sent out so fast. First of all, if you're old enough to have a job I think you are capable of speaking for yourself. And second, it's not like your parent can come to work with you everyday and help you out! I mean, what's next? Having your mom go on every date with you so she can help you pick the right person? Even though I hate working, I love the feeling of making my own money and having some adult responsibilities. If you don't get into this mindset now, it will become more difficult later when you're forced to.


Another area where parents shouldn't get involved is dealing with a difficult teacher. It is tempting to just get your parent to send an angry email to the principal and get transferred out of the class, but it's not necessary for them to get involved. If your teacher is rude or doesn't know how to teach, either suck it up or deal with it yourself. In college you won't be able to ask your mommy to get a schedule change, and there will always be people in your life that you don't like but have to put up with anyway.

In order for us to grow, we need to make our own mistakes and think for ourselves. I'm definitely guilty of relying on my parents too much because I don't like change and I just feel uncomfortable doing certain things on my own. However, I do try to push myself to become more independent and because of this, some of those insecurities have gone away. I know we don't want to let go of our parents because they've always been there to help us, but they can still be a big part of our lives without letting them control it.

And if you think your parents are going to do all the thinking for you for the rest of your life, you can try again!

Follow my blog for more posts and check it out Monday for a new one!

You can also follow me on Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/brewjessica

Tags:

Share:

0 comments